This blog is a place for me to share the news and photos from our classroom.
Tuesday, February 1, 2011
Science Journal Introduction
After our friend, Davis, won 2nd place in the OUS Science Fair, the boys of T-1 became very interested in science topics. Caiden started by asking a Biology question: "How big is a whale's heart?" We decided to look it up on our computer. The answer? The heart of a blue whale can weigh up to 1410 pounds! A small child can even crawl through his largest blood vessel!
Then Will asked: "How fast can a roadrunner run?" Again, we went to the computer and we found out that a roadrunner can run 18 mph.
So, we decided to make a science journal and keep track of all of our scientific questions. For our first entry, we tried to see if we could make raisins dance. We got out a clear, tall glass and filled it with Sprite. Then we put in 5 raisins. Unfortunately, nothing happened. :( Our book of science experiment said they would jump up and down because of the bubbles in the Sprite. It said that it would work best if you had fresh raisins--we decided that maybe we just had old raisins.
For our second entry in our Science Journal, we decided to make a Coke volcano. This experiment was a hit! We took a two-liter bottle of Diet Coke and then we dropped in a roll of Mentos. The video above shows what happened. (P.S.--pay no attention to the pregnant teacher)
I am very excited to be teaching your child this year at Oxford University School. I anticipate many great and exciting things throughout the school year. I also look forward to being a part of your child’s education. I hold both a Bachelors degree in Education and a Masters degree in Curriculum and Instruction from the University of Mississippi. This will be my tenth year of teaching—the first five years I spent teaching first grade in Batesville, the sixth and seventh years I spent teaching kindergarten in Utah,and now I am here. Please feel free to come to me with any questions, concerns, or feedback that you may have.
No comments:
Post a Comment